Self-Care is essential to mental health and everyday life. There are many aspects of self-care to consider.
I am stubborn, independent, and headstrong.
Those qualities are good in some ways, like how determined I am to achieve something or standing up for myself and others when necessary. However, when you throw in stress, depression, and anxiety; those qualities aren’t so great.
I struggle with depression and anxiety as well as coping with high amounts of stress.
And because I am stubborn, independent, and headstrong; I think I am capable of handling it all on my own. By the time I do reach out for help, it’s usually not good.
No matter how much of an external support system I may have, ultimately it’s up to me to take care of myself and motivate myself.
You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.
I will be implementing the following methods of self-care:
- Going for a walk outside, even if it’s only for 30 minutes.
- Actually using my Planet Fitness membership!
- Parking farther away at stores.
- Taking the stairs instead of an elevator.
- Doing squats, sit-ups, and planks during commercial breaks.
- Shutting off all electronics an hour before bed.
- Going to bed at the same time every night.
- Waking up at the same time every morning.
- Creating a relaxing nighttime routine and environment.
- DRINKING MORE WATER
- Eliminating sugary foods and junk foods.
- Cooking at home most days.
- Eating a filling breakfast, like oatmeal, instead of a bowl of cereal.
- Snacking on healthy foods like carrots with ranch dressing instead of potato chips or candy.
- Watching less TV.
- Reading more.
- Spending more time outside.
- Starting a new hobby.
- Using technology less often.